Welcome to the Global Mission Urban Center. This Center focuses on inspiring and equipping Seventh-day Adventists to build bridges of understanding in their communities.
The world is rapidly changing. The amount of new technical information is doubling every two years. Since ancient times most people lived a rural lifestyle, dependent on agriculture and hunting for survival.
- In 1800, only 3 percent of the world's population lived in cities.
- In 1900 14 percent were living in urban areas, and only 12 cities had over one million inhabitants.
- Today more than 500 cities have populations of more than one million.
- Since 2007, the majority of the world's population is living in urban areas.
- It is expected that 70 percent of the world's population will be urban by 2050.
There are now more than 20 megacities in the world, each one with more than 10 million inhabitants. All these changes that are taking place in the world today should lead us to consider what could be done to minister to urban areas.
We invite you to get involved and to make a difference in your community.